The Blog Nobody Reads

ruminations on politics, fat cats, injustice, and happier things like how to be more in tune with the planet, and the people on it.

Saturday, August 27, 2005

TORN

As one of the people in this country who strongly believes that the war in Iraq is a waste of billions on a daily basis, I'm torn between my political beliefs and my tie to the women and men who have to fight the war.

I spent seven years in the service of Uncle Sam in the 70s and 80s. It colors life for me to this day. I read the frontline blogs of several grunts on the ground in all parts of Iraq. I cry when I read about one of their buddies dying, or getting blown up and sent home. I have empathy for them. They get paid shit wages, have crap for equipment, and who the hell would want to have to wear 80 pounds of gear in 120 degree weather? It's not easy to run from bullets in all that shit.

I want them (the soldiers) to know that I think about them everyday.... I want that simple minded redneck living at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue to spend three days with a bullet launcher, and all that gear, on the ground and in the fight. Maybe he'd be more inclined to think about ending the madness now. Not a single Iraqi ship is sitting off the coast of California or any other state. Not one single Iraqi is marching on the capital, so why are we tearing their country apart?

The Japanese hit us hard in 1941. We ruined them for it. 9/11 was different.... Extremist acting out their idea of a religious war. Anyone remember the Crusades? Religion makes some truly mad and willing to do anything in the name of God or Allah. So, for the act of 13 MEN, we send thousands to die in the desert. Then there are the innocents in Iraq who simply want a job, or food to feed their children. Walking down the street makes them targets too.

No matter what kind of constitution the puppet leaders in Iraq draft, extremists will still be a part of the population. No government can police each person's thoughts or actions. Personally, I'm glad about that. I certainly don't want Big Brother wandering around in my daily life.

As long as the leaders of this not so great nation, where 50 million citizens don't have healthcare, where children go to bed hungry at night, and where certain parts of the population are still marginalized, continue to act as the school yard bully, the police of the entire world, there will still be men and some women who will strike out at the innocents....

Changing the way we direct US foreign policy is the only way to insure that extremists won't do extreme things to get their message across. This government needs to spend billions to make a difference, not create rubble!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home